CPS Technician Certification
How To Become a CPST
The National Child Passenger Safety Certification Training Program certifies individuals as child passenger safety technicians and instructors. Tens of thousands of individuals have been certified since the program began in 1997.
CPS technicians and instructors put their knowledge to work through a variety of activities, including child safety seat checks where parents and caregivers receive education and hands-on assistance with the proper use of child restraint systems and safety belts.
CPS Technician and Instructor recertification is based on the Safe Kids Worldwide CPS Certification Program's policies and procedures in effect at the time of recertification.
The certification cycle for both technicians and instructors is two years. In order to retain your certification, you must meet all of the requirements for and successfully complete the re-certification process. As noted on the Safe Kids CPS Certification web site, there are two general steps to successful re-certification:
1. Meet all pre-registration requirements, including:
- Verified seat check activity (5 types)
- Community event (one check up or community workshop)
- Continuing education (6 hours)
- If an Instructor, teaching hours (20)
2. Register and pay for re-certification (this may be done up to four months prior to your certification cycle end date). Technicians and Instructors are urged to refer to the Recertification section of the Safe Kids Certification website for current information and details.
It is also important to note that recertification information and clarification will continue to be sent out through "CPS Express", a monthly newsletter sent to all Technicians and Instructors via email. Technicians must have a current and valid email address entered into their online individual profiles in order to take advantage of this service.
All technicians are encouraged to check their profiles to be sure their correct contact information is listed. Individuals who need assistance accessing the certification system and/or need help with username & password issues should contact CPS Certification Customer Service via phone at 877-366-8154 (toll free) - available M - F, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET, excluding federal holidays - or via email at email@example.com .
CPS Instructor Candidate Process